1/16/14

Episode 14- Po' Boy Smackdown

Well we are finally down to the Final 5!!!! I will say I am surprised by who is left, mainly Brian, Carlos and Nick!

QF- make a Po'Boy sandwich! YUM, This made me really want a seafood Po'Boy- Lobster and Shrimp or even Crab would be top of my list!! Ben get on it! 

Was it just me or did the bread look a bit tough and dry? Sucks they couldn't pick/make that.

Unfortunately everyone did bad according to Roy Choi which was shocking because no one made a sandwich that I wouldn't try from a food truck. I honestly think the bread was the big issue!
Lucky for Pickley, Shirley wins and gets immunity (shocked they still have that!) 

John Favreau is the guest judge!!! YES- I love him! Elf would not be the movie I would say is my favorite of his though, not that it's not good, but really Nick!?

The challenge was to cook with passion and they even got to sample some food trucks! JEALOUS

Ok- Nick making a shit ton of carrot? Wtf? And flipping out about his pots! Why does he get all the front burners? What an asshole! Also stop complaining about your quinoa and if its not on the plate, don't bring it up when you present your dish- you just bring more attention to the issue!

Did anyone else notice that there were a lot of blurry shots this episode- it was annoying to me! 

Shirley is so passionate about this dish- and she knocked it out of the park! Seared Snapper with Crustacean Broth, Silken Tofu, and Napa Cabbage
Nina did a good job adapting her dish to the environment! Simple and clean! Fettuccine with Charred Calamari, Pine Nut Germolata, and Crab Meat

Carlos' dish looked really good to me! Pork belly is so good and it was simple and flavorful!  Braised Pork Belly With Sweet Potato Puree and Chipotle Tamarind Glaze

Nick is just full of excuses! The fish was not at all tied to the carrot! Emeril and Tom really took notice at how pissed he was. Yellowfin Tuna, Several Preparations of Carrot and Fennel Pollen Dust


Brian using boneless skinless chicken was surprising! Granted I cook that, but I am not competing on Top Chef! Plus under-cooked potato- that is unacceptable! Chicken Anticucho with Twice Cooked Potatoes and Feta Walnut Pesto


On Top we had Nina, Shirley and Carlos 
On Bottom- Brian and Nick

The winner is Shirley! Yay! You go girl!

Out this week is Brian! I was a little shocked it wasn't Nick, but 51st state is still in it!

Ep 15: Leaving New Orleans- It’s down to the final four cheftestants and the last challenges in New Orleans push them to their limits. In the Quickfire, Tom and Gail present their own tests as the chefs battle for a new car. And to get to the finals, the chefs must demonstrate how New Orleans has impacted their food, with hopes of impressing the judges along with Top Chef Masters winner Douglas Keane, Grant Achatz, and Andrew Carmellini.

FYI- final 4 points will happen AFTER this challenge- the 4th will (most likely) be our LCK winner.

And... if you ever wondered how the Top Chef winners would stack up against each other- check THIS out!

5 comments:

  1. Haha, you are spot on in your analysis this week.

    I thought all those sandwiches looked delicious. We thought at first that Roy was just messing with the chefs. The show went to commercial after he said they all did terrible in general and we were all like...it's a trap! He's just screwing with their heads but then after the commercial he just started ripping into them. Wtf Roy - I find it hard to believe the food was as bad as all that.

    Elf? Seriously, Nick? I don't want Nick to suffer physical harm but I wouldn't mind if, say, he were to accidentally singe his eyebrows off.

    Shirley killed it in the elimination. That dish looked spot on and delicious! I am still craving crispy skin fish 2 days later. Carlos' dish also looked amazing but it sounded like he makes it all the time in his restaurant so I was less impressed than by Shirley's.

    Brian and Nick really dropped the ball. Brian gets to cook anything he wants and goes with chicken breast? Not going to win yourself any points with the judges there bud. I think Nick eked out the spot over Brian because his weird carrot dish was more technically difficult and creative even though it obviously had some major flaws.

    Kind of excited (hehe) Gail and her ample bosom will be returning next week. Those bombers are out of control!

    By the way, for those of you not paying attention: Louis is still in LCK and has won 6 times in a row now! Whoever wins the LCK next week gets to come back...It better not be Nick. Rub Tom C's head for good luck.

    This is definitely the season for a woman to take the championship. It's been too long since Stephanie won back in season 4. Nina vs Shirley in the finale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't Kristen win last year Ben? Females are taking over! Boo-Ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elf = cmon man!

    Nick = prima donna - if he always has this attitude in the kitchen I'm not surprised he was the only chef not invited back to his restaurant after it changed owner

    Bread = definitely the po'boy death knell. But I don't blame the bread, I blame the chefs for not making their fillings pack enough flavor. You should be able to judge, based on the loaf you've been given, how much you need to ramp up the spice. If I were them I would've tried to dig out some of the bread filling to reduce the amount there, but if that was anti-po'boy rules then I would've drenched that sucker in a ton of tasty/spicy aioli.

    Go ladies! Shirley & Nina are definitely my faves right now & they are CRUSHING. If Louis gets back then he'll be on my happy list too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh right! I don't know how I forgot last season's winner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 50 First Dates somehow scraped by due to producer influence. Shirley vs Nina FTW.

    ReplyDelete