11/21/13

Episode 8- Piggin' Out

This was a fun week!!!

The QF this week was to make a hot sauce for Dr. John a music legend and overall weird dude! The fans voted this a 7/10 in difficulty, and I agree, this is hard!

Dr. John wanted to make sure the sauces had enough Hip Tang, flavornocity of the highest order and tangnocity that mixes in! Wtf?

Everyone had a different take on this challenge based on their backgrounds and flavor profiles... I guess that is the cool thing about Hot Sauce, it's pretty universal, unless you're Stephanie...

The sauces at the bottom were Nick, Carrie and Nina's. Too Hot was a bad reason to be on the bottom, it IS hot sauce! whatever.

On the top we had Brian, Justin and Carlos 

Brian is the head saucier at his restaurant back home and this was basically his dream challenge- which he won!

Elimination Challenge was a Boucherie- Create Dishes Using a Whole Pig...
I love Bacon, but I do not like seeing where it came from- ugh!

A few thoughts...
Louis is so cute finally making friends... but that was very ominous... 
I also have to say that something about Stephanie rubs me the wrong way, she bugs me the most out of everyone.
Justin was flipping out making his tacos. I get that he built the fire, but he had to have stepped away long enough for everyone else to swoop down on it. AND he could have been a little nicer about it. I think he was just super stressed taking that huge risk going up against Carlos.
I really loved how, like the Hot Sauce challenge, everyone went very cultural and passionate. I agree with the judges that everyone did an overall great job this week and I think it was that passion that helped!

On the top we had Nina, Shirley and Carlos. 

Carlos took the win with his AMAZING Pozole Verde with Fried Chorizo Tacos. I seriously want this, NOW.

On the bottom we had Justin, Louis and Stephanie.

The fans vote was for Stephanie, but it was Louis that the judges kicked off with his Slow-Grilled Pork Leg with Spring Onions, Shiitake Mushrooms, Melted Corn, and Popcorn

So sad, I liked him but I guess popcorn and pork do not mesh well!!!

Ep 9: Restaurant Wars- It’s baaack -- the beloved “Restaurant Wars” challenge (With 10 chefs instead of 8!!!) The cheftestants face this classic challenge head-on --  creating pop-up restaurants to impress the renowned judges panel, which includes chef and restaurateur David Chang.

4 comments:

  1. David Chang!! Isn't that the Momofuku guy? Will this be after Tgiving week? If so, we should do a thing...

    Agreed that it's BS that the chefs who made the hottest hot sauce were in the bottom of the QF. Especially when the guidelines for what the guest wants are in a made-up language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David Chang IS the Momofuku guy. Very exciting!

    Is it just me or are the product placement ads getting more ridiculous? Now they're showing Keurig coffee and dunkin' donuts when the chefs are at the house!

    I loved the challenges this week. The chefs seemed to do well on both. I think the QF judge would have been happy if someone had used shrooms and acid in his hot sauce. Michal noticed that Padma really tried to figure out what all that mumbo-jumbo meant - pretty funny.

    C'mon Kelly! As a bacon lover how could you not enjoy watching the butchering of that hog?

    I love the idea of a boucherie. Watching the chefs butcher (except for annoying Sara) and then utilize the entire pig was really awesome. I was impressed by their passion and resourcefulness.

    I liked Louis but he never lived up to my expectations.
    As soon as he mentioned popcorn I buried my face in my hands, muttering, "Oh no." There are certain things you do not do on Top Chef and Louis broke one of the cardinal rules. Do not use popcorn.
    Do not think about popcorn. Do not talk about popcorn.
    Now I have a funny elimination picture of him in my head with a backdrop of popcorn. 'Popped' or maybe 'Corny'. Hehe.

    Carlos is really hitting his stride and emerging as a final four contender.

    I think if I HAD to pick a final four right now it would be Nina, Carlos, Shirley, and Justin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Restaurant Wars: Dec 4th! If you guys want to get together for this let me know! I can do the 4th or 5th!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Restaurant Wars sounds like fun as always. I'm concerned about the weather on Wednesday/Thursday though. What do you all think?

    ReplyDelete