12/18/14

Episode 9- Literature and Sausages

First off- I never would have guessed that Doug and Katsuji were so close- they're a really funny together. So... which one is getting eliminated tonight?

QuickFire: Make a Sausage in 1 hr for New England Patriots player Rob Gronkowski... wow the sexual tension with Padma was THICK! "You can call me tacky!"
 Watching everyone try to make sausage was pretty entertaining! I have never made sausage and I am not sure I ever want to after this! I am a bit disappointed in George and his sausage patty. Did Greg patty it up too?
On the Bottom: Melissa (too small) & Greg (too spicy)
On the Top: Doug & George
And George takes the win, despite no casing and being a Redskins fan. He made Pork and Veal Sausage Patty With Sunny-Side Up Egg and Potato Hash... I mean you can't go wrong with breakfast, but I am still annoyed he did a patty.

Elimination Challenge- Best Sellers from New England with Chef Tony Maws! The writers inspire the dish with flavor and presentation! This is an odd challenge, I feel like they're reaching a bit with the theme, BUT it is fun! (No Snow White and the Huntsman, but still...)

I feel like all the chefs are taking the themes seriously and not just making whatever they want and trying to fit it into the literature- gotta give them all props for that (with the exception of Greg) AND they all made it taste good! This ended up being a pretty great challenge!

On Top: Mei, Melissa and Doug! 

The winner is Mei with her Henry David Thoreau, Walden Roasted Vegetables, Charred Onion Soil, Tom Kha Snow, Radish and Carrot Top Vinaigrette! This was a pretty inspired dish!

Bottom: Katsuji- decent presentation and concept based on Carrie, but the flavor was all over the place and the consistency was a bit off. And Greg- his Raven dish was odd, the "Raven" wasn't really represented as well as it could have been and the beef did not fit in the dish. If it were me, I would have eliminated Greg...

But it's Katsuji thats done after making his Carrie inspired Fabada With White Beans, Chorizo, Jamon Serrano, Short Rib, Veal Osso Buco, Red Beat Puree, and Hot Sauce.

Wow that was hard and more emotional than other eliminations. We're down to some really great chefs! I think Melissa will be next!


3 comments:

  1. That interaction between Gronkowski and Padma gave me a reverse chub.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too was mad that George won with his "sausage patty." It totally looked like a burger! And I thought his Dr. Seuss inspired dish was super weak. It needed more color & more vertical-ness! Go balls out when you have immunity & Dr. Seuss, seriously.

    Melissa & George I think are the bottom of the barrel at this point. I'm sad to see Katsuji go, especially on what was overall a good dish. He may be a bit of a dick, but I liked his cooking flair. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad Top Chef is finally back! I'm fiending for some chef-ing.

    ReplyDelete