11/14/13

Episode 7- Jazz Hands

What an episode! This was one of the most frustrating episodes for me and I have to say I was not really a fan. First off, it really sucked that Nick had strep, and I am was glad he was able to compete in the elimination! 



This was the most insane QF ever. Improvise with musical cooking! I thought it was so messed that people were "camping out" during the 2nd round 'ahem Brian. And I think it is crazy that people were on their dishes twice... I wonder if that was on purpose? I hope not, it definitely made it less fair with the good cooks really setting everything up for the people who swept in and got their dished in the end. I can't believe Brian won. Also, they only announced 2 on the bottom, I assume Nick is the 3rd since he wasn't there. Does everyone agree he should get a -1 for the QF? I have not added that and wanted everyone's input first. 

Elimination Challenge: As a Team, Create a Cohesive Potluck Meal

Everyone got to pick their team this week which was a nice change. The teams were:
Blue: Shirley, Justin, Louis, Sara
Grey: Travis, Brian, Patty, Nick
Green: Carrie, Nina, Carlos, Stephanie

Shocker, the Green Team is on top! They made Fried Baby Artichoke, Preserved Lemon, and Anchovy Aioli; Semolina Gnocchetti with Sausage; Summer Tiramisu with Nectarines, Pistachios, and Cheese. The dessert was the least favorite simply due to the fact they called it a  Tiramisu. I will argue that they're the only ones that even had a dessert and props for that!

Stephanie won with the artichoke, and I have to agree, it looked awesome!

Blue Team made Hominy Grits with Brown Shrimp, Roasted Okra, Fava Beans, Smoked Bacon; Grilled, Pickled Vegetables, Crispy Sunflower Seeds, Mustard Vinaigrette; Glazed Beef with Charred Onions, Melon Pickles, and Pickled Ginger Vinaigrette. I think the standout here was Louis. I hope he can pull through in the next few weeks, I like him and think he is capable of more than he has shown us so far.

The Grey was on the bottom with their Tomato Watermelon Salad, Szechuan Pepper, and Goat Cheese Espuma; Caramel Glazed BBQ Ribs, Dehydrated Potatoes, and Peanut Gremolata; Togarashi Fried Chicken with Bee Pollen and Ponzu; Barramundi and Red Drum Fricassee, Zucchini, Truffle, and Yuzu Kosho. 
Nick definitely took on WAY too much prepping pretty much everything, then not executing his own dish. That said, Patty was the right choice here. Even though Nick did most of the work... he DID MOST OF THE WORK, SICK! WTF did Patty do other than forget the Chili Threads? She has been weak since day 1 and now her dish got her OUT!

Ep 8: Piggin' Out: After a Quickfire Challenge where the cheftestants are tasked with making their own hot sauce for legendary musician Dr. John, the focus turns to the pig, the whole pig and nothing but the pig, as the chefs butcher and cook up a 300-pound hog.

2 comments:

  1. Agreed that Nick should be docked a point, even though it wasn't his fault.

    So happy to see Patty go home. She didn't deserve to be there - everyone else is leaps & bounds more talented than her... except I guess with cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it is fair if Nick also loses 1 pt for sitting out the QF. Not that we need more negatives... but fair. I wish Nick or Travis had been voted out over Patty. 51st state is ready to throw all our eggs in Justin's basket an cut the rest of our anchors loose.

    ReplyDelete