11/7/13

Episode 6- Campfires, Cream Cheese and Countryside

I started this episode with a pit in my stomach regarding Sara. It was VERY ominous! 

I love John Besh!!! Super excited to see him all the way through this whole episode! I will say that as much as I like him, I do not like his hair! What is all that hype about?

Finally a fun QF! Challenge: Create a Dish Highlighting the Creole Tomato! 
Could Bene Tomato pull it off??? It is kind of a sad nickname, especially since both tomato dishes he made put him in the bottom!

In the bottom we found Patty, Stephanie and Travis. Stephanie's dish was the most sad in my opinion. I could have made that, and probably made it prettier and tastier. Just saying...

On top was Nina, Carlos and Louis- good to see these boys doing better! I like them both!

Of course the winner is Nina with her Chilled Watermelon Tomato Soup with Jalapeno, Fresh Basil, and Shaved Zucchini. I was impressed she kept it cool and it was pretty!

The Elimination Challenge: Create a Farm Fresh Dish Using Philadelphia Cream Cheese. I love me some cream cheese but it doesn't naturally go with fresh produce for me so I felt like this really was a tough challenge. Not only that, they had to cook for Besh's whole restaurant group! How intimidating! And lets make it High Stakes too- Winner gets 10K! High Pressure much?!?!?!

Everyone was kind of a mess in the kitchen this week. No one had smooth sailing really (except Nina and maybe Justin) It was hard to watch! Stephanie is not doing as well as I would have expected overall. Being such good friends with Kristen, I assumed she would have come into this a bit more mentally prepared, but she keeps having major blocks and issues.

I was screaming at Sara- Cut the piping bag!! Make the hole bigger! WTF are you thinking!!!! She is getting harder and harder to watch too. These chefs are seriously in a negative, sad place and need to get over it!

I swear, did anyone do well??? I wasn't sure who would be in the top really... none of the judges were REALLY wowed by anyone except the golden chef Nina!

I also just have to ask, how did no one make cheesecake???? That was my 1st thought for dessert! Everyone kept trying these custards that did not sound great, but cheesecake people!!! You have CREAM CHEESE as your item to use and tons of amazing fruit! Killed me!

On the top we had Nina, Nick and Justin 
The winner this week is Nina with her Crispy Zucchini Blossoms with Eggplant and Cream Cheese Puree
It sounded fantastic and looked beautiful! She really did hit this one out of the park! I will say that Nick's Funnel Cake sounded pretty good too though, but for a dessert to win it's got to be insane-good!

In the bottom we found Bene, Sara and Travis... I had a bad feeling about Sara this whole episode, but based on their dishes and their past performance, I had to agree with the judges. Bene is out with his Roasted Chicken Breast Filled with Caramelized Onion and Tarragon Cream Cheese
They were supposed to highlight the produce, not murder it! I do think the weakest chef went home, and I will miss him as much as Nina, he was a really nice guy!  I guess it's just Nina and Travis now, what a WEIRD pair!!!!!!!

Ep 7: Jazz Hands- In this week’s Quickfire Challenge, famed musician Kermit Ruffins provides the tunes for a foodie version of musical chairs. And in the Elimination Challenge, Kermit hosts a jazzy pot luck for his musician friends and the cheftestants must bring the food. Will it be harmonious or will it all go flat?

2 comments:

  1. This episode was great! A real QF, an actual chef guest judge, and an individual (and highstakes!) elimination challenge.

    Yes, it was also great that le Chefre did really well. :)

    I loved the tomato QF - so many possibilities. If you can't do something with tomato in 20 minutes (and by something I do not mean salad cough Stephanie cough Patty) then just pack your knives and go.

    I think the chefs had a little trouble with the limited pantry in the elimination. Cheesecake is the perfect dish to make for dessert and those chefs should be kicking themselves. I was surprised Stephanie did not end up in the bottom with her broken custard or Louis with his soggy graham cracker but I guess there were a lot of chefs who struggled this week.

    Bene seems like a really nice guy but his cooking failed to impress time and again. I'm tired of Sara and her incessant weeping. The way she kept saying oh it's definitely me going home was also annoying. It's not always about you. That said, I still want to see Travis the Douche pack his knives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara's piping issues were driving me crazy too! At some point you need to be able to not just realize that things are going downhill, but actually do something about it. Cut the piping hole bigger, or just don't freaking stuff it anymore & find some way to turn that into a sauce. Just get that damn lamb on some heat woman!!

    I was also happy to see Bene go home. He's been the most consistently bad this season & I'm happy someone is finally getting punished for ruining their vegetables. Yes, protein is usually the star, but chefs making veggies like Bene's is why so many people & kids hate vegetables these days.

    ReplyDelete