2/28/13

Finale Season 10

Wow, what an intense episode! This was a very exciting and fun finale! I will say though that I think the chefs should have cooked all 5 dishes and then have been judged at the end... even if they did the format the same with the best out of 3 wins. It was so hard to see Brooke getting crushed each round emotionally. I think they should have been on more fair ground the whole time they were cooking. 

I thought the Sous- Chefs they picked were very interesting and I wish they had shown more of the prep process. I thought it was funny that Brooke had Stefan AND CJ. I think Kristen took the better route choosing chefs with less ego, not that Brooke's did bad, but I could see the difference. 

The stage was crazy!!! I really liked the live audience but it was VERY similar to Iron Chef- even Kristen said so in the Andy Cohen interview after the show- but still something fun and different for the 10th season!

As far as the actual food goes... I personally liked Brooke better. I feel like she cooks food that anyone would eat, uses bold exciting flavor combinations and takes a lot of risks. Kristen obviously can cook, but I feel like she cooks more "out of reach" upscale food that not everyone would understand or enjoy. Obviously the judges are in her demographic so it was a fair fight and Kristen fought well. It was painful watching dish by dish though!

It all came down to Tom in the end and he picked Kristen on round 4, deciding her fate as the winner of Top Chef Season 10. Tom picked her again and again this whole season with LCK... it almost would have been weird to see him choose Brooke!  

She joins many great Top Chefs- most of which have a few restaurants! She said in the interview after the show that she plans on staying where she is as a sous chef and saving most of the winnings, except for her trip to Korea. Hung was also present during the interview and said it was a total tie as far as the past Top Chefs were concerned. They all thought there were hits and misses but that they couldn't have decided a winner and that the judges had a tough job!

Congrats KRISTEN!!! Too bad her win wasn't enough for JeffCo Cartel to bounce back, and Pickely takes Season 10! :)

In case you were wondering who the fan favorite was... it is SHELDON! 

I think he won this very well- he was one of my favorites for sure! I look forward to seeing what Kristen, Brooke and Sheldon do in the future... Foodie Road Trip anyone? I would love to hit up Boston, LA and Hawaii! 

3 comments:

  1. I wasn't a huge fan of this new format. I like the idea of serving a bunch of people connected to the show but creating a dish and plating a dish for over 150 people seems excessive. I would have preferred to see the chefs get to cook whatever they wanted and present it to a single table (maybe 12 people or so).

    I, too, would have enjoyed seeing the sous chef picking process and the menu planning. The whole episode felt rushed and they should have done 90 minutes, which I think some of the finales have been in the past.

    Brooke is an amazing chef but I really disliked her idea to do a chicken wing as one of her 5 dishes. I don't care how good it is - the judges are not going to give the nod to a chicken wing in the finale.

    Complete bullshit that these two titans of dessert did not get to make any.

    You're right, Kelly, they should be judged after completing all their dishes. I think it was a huge disadvantage for someone like Brooke to lose the first round.

    Enjoyed the season overall. I wonder where they will be next time? The last day of casting for season 11 is today in L.A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed with both of you. I did not like the format either. But most importantly, JeffCo Cartel went down.

    Congrats to Pickely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really loved this season, although like everyone else didn't love the finale.

    Apart from proving how awesome team Pickely is, this season also proved how important the entire top chef team is. Kristen earned 71 points by herself, but JeffCo overall only netted 36!!

    Btw, if I ever go on a reality show I'm definitely bringing a ukelele. Seems like a surefire way to win fan fave :)

    ReplyDelete