11/18/11

Episode 1... and they're off!

Sorry everyone, my new job is a bit time consuming so I will do my best to post!
This episode was a good one, BUT I hope they don’t do so many group challenges in the future; I hate to see so many win just because they were in the good group.


The Quick Fire shocked me! I really thought Nyesha, Paul and even Richie would do better than that! Not to mention Dakota taking the win with Beverly on her heels! So far everything is the opposite of what I would have expected, but that is the beauty of it right?


Elimination challenge… I think we are all sad to see Keith go, he seemed like a good guy, but cooked shrimp, REALLY! Not only that, but if you’re not familiar with a dish, use SOME common sense; the flour tortillas were a BAD idea. I was disappointed that no one made their own tortillas too, I thought this was Top Chef!?!?!


If I was going to give pts to a winner, it would have been Chuy. He rocked it and really led the team, even if his cabbage was so-so. The cakes were just bad on so many different levels, and being a lover of all things cake, I really have nothing to say, just that they were SAD!


I am super excited for next week. Did anyone watch the Last Chance Kitchen? I have not yet, but I will try to re-cap a little when I do.


As far as Ben’s e-mail… I agree w/ the High Stakes QFs/Challenges. If you do not agree, let us know, otherwise we will go w/ it!

1 comment:

  1. Episode 1 definitely turned my expectations upside down. Upon seeing who was on each team, I thought the pink team was going to crush the green team. Big mistake.

    I think you are spot on in your comments about Keith and the precooked shrimp. Unbelievable! Especially coming from a "seafood" guy - and one who was nominated for a James Beard award for the Southeast. Even though his team totally threw him under the bus I couldn't believe he would think to use precooked shrimp.

    Less obvious, but equally surprising to me, was the lack of home made tortillas. C'mon people! It's Top Chef TEXAS. How do you come on the show and not know how to whip out a quick tortilla. Pretty lame.

    HAHAHA! I couldn't believe the cakes either. I realize these are savory chefs but wow! Sarah's cake looked like it had been shit out by a Yeti. What was with all the random leaves sticking out of it?? Dakota's cake looked like it had been made from cheap plastic and then spray painted by someone on acid. Not in a good way.

    The other thing that annoyed me about episode 1 was Beverly and her stupid note about winning Top Chef that she taped on the mirror. I don't know why she bugs me but I'm excited she's not on Le'Chefre DEUX.

    I watched the two Last Chance Kitchens (they are On Demand). Will be interesting to see how that shakes out as better and better chefs get eliminated. I'm a little dubious about Tom C. being the only judge but I guess they are still getting an extra chance.

    Good first post!

    ReplyDelete