3/9/18

Episode 14: Finale

Alright- this is it, Joseph vs Adrienne! Who would have thought... I am cheering for both- I want Joseph because he's on my team, but I want another woman to win so I'd be happy to see Adrienne take it. I've thought Joseph was a better chef this whole season, but Adrienne has finally figured out her strengths and passion and is a powerhouse now!

Finale is as expected- cook the best 4 course meal of your life- side by side, dish by dish. They get to pick some sous chefs! (SIDE NOTE: I mentioned this to Doug and Bri but didn't get the chance to run this by others. I was thinking that if your eliminated chef is chosen to help the finalist cook, you should get some points, maybe 2? We can wait to implement till next season, or do it now. Let me know what you think!)

Adrienne gets to pick sous chefs firsts - she takes Chris (GREAT choice for Southern food) and Carrie- good team! She's keeping her soulful, southern, but elevated trend, which is really working for her!

Joseph takes Joe first and Fatima second- also a good team! He's going Italian - and he's feeling pretty great about it!

Like I said before- I LOVE the bonding these chefs have done and the love and respect they all have for each-other. Maybe there has been a shift in the restaurant world- chefs are seeing that you attract more flies with honey, and that treating people well and with respect helps you in the long run. Love!

They're still cooking at elevation... 11,000 ft which isn't easy, there are all sorts of weird things that happen to food at altitude. They don't have much time to practice either- nerve wracking! I just want them to be able to execute! If it were me- I would NOT bake!!!! No-Bake Cheesecake FTW!

Surprise!!!! Graham and Tom are cooking for the chefs when they get back! Nice little flip- and the food looks awesome!

First Course:
A: Spoon Bread, Sea Urchin, Buttermilk Dashi, Ham, Caviar & Wheat Tuile- It's delicious and provocative. It was sensual and had a flavor combination that no one has ever experienced. Padma said it was the best thing she ate all season.

J: "Tonno Vitellato" Raw Tuna with Veal Demi Aioli, Smoked Wagyu Powder & Capers- They love the acidity and the fat powder was creative. It was clean and simple, but not new. Very playful and balanced.

I THINK Adrienne takes the dish?

Second Course:
A: Blackened Octopus with Squid Ink Grits & Fennel Chow-Chow- It's beautiful and super tasty, but eats dry, could use more grits! It was such a great idea!

J: "Tortellini Brodo" Grano Arso Tortellini, Pig Head, Apple, Black Truffle & Braising Liquid Broth- It's "damn" amazing! They LOVED it. Gail will never forget this dish, it was perfect.

I THINK Joseph takes the dish?

Third Course:
A: Cheerwine Braised Short Rib, Black Eyed Peas with Ham Hock & Cheerwine Bone Marrow Bordelaise- YUM it looks so good! It all goes together very well, but it was a bit dry.

J: "Manzo Di Colorado" Roasted Beef Ribeye with Roasted Asparagus & Smoked Bone Marrow Sauce- The meat is over-rested and chewy, but the Asparagus is "magic!"

I can't tell who took this one- DAMN they are both crushing it!!!!

Fourth Course:
A: Banana Pudding with Yuzu, Banana Spears & Vanilla Wafers- Very good and intellectual, whatever that means. The banana flavor was a bit washed out.

J: "Torta Della Nonna" Brown Sugar cake, Whipped Ricotta, Blueberry Thyme Sauce & Chocolate Shards- YUMMY! The cake was great and had good flavor, but the Ricotta was heavy.

They were nit-picking for issues- they both did great and I have NO idea who took this one!

Best food of the whole season was served today! The judges have their work cut-out for them picking a winner! Both chefs have grown so much this season but there can only be one Top Chef, and it's Joseph Flamm!!! I am happy and sad, Adrienne is such a good chef, but Joseph did a great job! LCK picks the winner AGAIN!

Excited to see the the reunion show and see what everyone is up to now! Also- should Fan Favorite earn points? Thoughts? 

3 comments:

  1. Finally watched the finale tonight.

    I like the idea of adding points if your chef is picked to help sous. Also like the idea of a small bonus for having Fan Favorite.

    Joe F was my top pick from the get go. I gambled when I took Tyler first because I thought there was a decent chance I could pick up Joe on the back end of the snake draft whereas I knew Pickely wanted Tyler. It turned out to be a happy mistake because even though Tyler went home right away and Joe F won, Le Chevre still pulled it out with a very strong supporting cast.

    I loved seeing so many destinations and restaurants from Colorado. I thought some of the challenges were shitty and that the overall caliber of the chefs was slightly weaker than an average season. Once it got down to the top 5 I thought they were just as strong, maybe slightly stronger, than an average season.

    I'd like to see them bring in a more interesting judge than Graham Elliot for future seasons.

    LONG LIVE LE CHEVRE!!! MAY WE REIGN FOREVER. AMEN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also thought Adrienne's menu was much more interesting than Joe's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I can't figure out if there was a reunion show- like they've done all the other seasons. I believe they named Fan Favorite though (Fatima) but can't figure out how to see it... anyone else?

    ReplyDelete