12/29/17

Episode 4: Little Tools, Big Challenge

Wow- tough breaks for Bruce! That is so hard, I am glad things are going well and he is finally getting to adopt! 

For this weeks Quickfire, the chefs have to make upscale versions of kid menu classics for Curtis Stone and kids of local chefs using child-sized cookware, utensils and mixers. They draw knives to pick the food they'll be updating!

This is a fun challenge... but the small cookware is a bit much, although entertaining!  

Everyone did pretty good elevating their dishes, the kids are pretty brutal with their reactions! 

On the bottom are Carrie, Tyler and Bruce

On top are Adrienne, Fatima and Tanya! And the winner is Adrienne and her cauliflower pizza! She really did have a rocky start but is doing much better lately!

For the Elimination Challenge the chefs go back to their roots to create dishes based on their own heritage for Immigrant food influencers, including Alon Shaya, Nilou Motamed and Mourad Lahlou at Departure.

First the chefs head to Comal, a food incubator in Denver thats assists immigrant women start their own businesses in food. Very amazing! I had no idea this existed! 
Brother's story about his father passing after giving him and creole recipe tugged at my heartstrings and Adrienne's story about her dad's family teaching her mom how to cook soul food made me laugh! I like this challenge, I feel like they do a version of it every season. 

The chefs all seemed excited about this opportunity but in the kitchen many are second guessing and over complicating. "The stories were better than the food"

Chris, Tanya and Joe had the best dishes of the day! They all had a good story and were able to execute well! And the winner is Chris! Finally a win for Pickley, but we're still getting crushed! I want to eat that biscuit though...

Joe, Tyler and Bruce are in the bottom- not gonna lie, these 3 were at the top of my draft list, and 2 made our team... wow, ouch! 

In the end, Tyler is headed to LCK! Shocker!!! At least he agreed that he didn't do his best.

Next week the chefs get to go camping in the snow!!! Reminds me of the time we went to Rainbow Lakes and Benn cooked us steaks in the cold dark! 

3 comments:

  1. Ughhh. RIP Tyler. Man, that bottom 3 had some really good chefs. I liked his analogy on the way out about getting lucky and killing the dragon. Seems like it could apply to Le Chevre as well...

    When a chef gets too literal on a challenge and sacrifices good food over challenge theme it is often their downfall. We've seen chefs barely / loosely follow the challenge and as long as the food is good they are safe.

    Some early impressions of contestants:

    Chris is impressing me. I think he will continue to pick up challenge wins. I think his weak link will be deeper into the competition on more technical challenges.

    I expect no mustache Joe to bounce back after a weak episode.

    Adrienne has the experience to go deep into the competition. She has finally settled into the top chef environment.

    I hope mustache Joe can win this thing but it would be pretty unusual given how young he is.

    Exciting to think a LCK competitor will be joining the competition so early on. I like it. My head wants Lee Ann bc she is on Chevre but my heart wants Kwame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been very impressed with Mustache Joe and Chris. Mustache Joe has great food knowledge and seems to have a good base of technique. Chris just seems to make delicious food. Fatima is a bit of a surprise too.

    I've been disappointed in Joseph and Bruce. They both looked so strong in the first couple episodes. I agree with Ben that Joseph probably had a bad week and is going to bounce back. I think Bruce has had much easier competition in other contests. He also has a lot on his mind and is probably getting into his head a bit.

    I still need to catch up on some LCK episodes, so I tried to breeze past those updates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! And how do we get Chris's biscuit recipe?!? All the Chefs immediately gave up hope when they tasted those biscuits. That must be a good damn biscuit!

    ReplyDelete