3/3/17

Episode 14- Comida Final

This is it- this is the end of one of the best seasons of Top Chef!!! I am still VERY upset Sheldon is not in the final, and am also shocked by the extreme lack of shit talking between the 2 remaining teams- come on!!!

The final challenge is to create a progressive, four course meal for a full dining room. They get 3 Sous Chefs each, Shirley picks Casey and  Katsuji, Brooke picks Sheldon, Sam and they both get their own Chef de Cuisine! That is an awesome twist! They both get someone that will really support and help them, chefs that know their style better than any of the other competitors. This is a very nice change from the last challenge!

Shirley and Brooke have a very nice report with each other which is refreshing! They are non-drama and supportive of one another to the extent they can given the competition. It sucks that Brooke doesn't have Pork Belly, but that is on her. If Shirley can't share, I believe it's not to hurt Brooke, but because she needs to do her best. I don't think there will be any hard feelings.

The dinner before the competition is so nice! It's great they can get time with their families and feel the support they need going into the competition.

Looks like both chefs are having issues with the pasta roller and the flan oven- eek! Production should have replaced the pasta roller- that is BS if a tool doesn't work. The oven not working right sucks, but I sort of feel like it's something she has more control over.

Their family's are there for dinner- so nice! I need an awesome chef in my family... I guess I will just have to settle with Ben as a friend!!!

First Course:
Brooke- Warm Oyster with Gilled Swiss Chard & Bacon

Shirley- "Let me take you to Lijiang," a Snapper Crudo with Chili Soy Vinegar & Crispy Shallots

Brooke's dish was beautiful and light, great flavor and they loved it! Shirley's plate was beautiful, they loved the jalapeƱo but needed more mint and chili

I think Brooke took this one.

Second Course:
Brooke- Charred Octopus with Orange Annatto Seafood Broth, Radish, Garlic Puree & Garlic Chips

Shirley- "When I was Eight," Ramen with Egg, Kimchi, Purslane & Rendered Pork Fat

Brooke's Octopus was "menu worthy," "finale food" with great texture and tenderness as well as playful garlic! Shirley's broth was flat and the Ramen doesn't compare to what is out there now. The condiments her interesting but the noodle was not very supple either.

Brooke takes Round 2!

Third Course:
Brooke- Braised Pork Belly & Beans with Charred Onion & Purslane

Shirley- "Dear Baba," Braised Piglet Shank with Lentils, Wild Rice, Blanched Spinach & Habanero Onions

They loved Shirley's dish- but it breaks my heart that they are BABY PIGS!! It took guts to serve, the rice was great and the pork was flavorful! Brooke's dish was also excellent, it was well put together and the beans were the star!

This was a Tie!

Fourth Course:
Brooke- Aged Rum & Chamomile Flan with Candied Cashews

Shirley- "Mama Said, Always Finish you Rice," Rice Pudding with Tropical Fruit & Lemon-Lime Snow

Shirley's dish sounds amazing and I wish I could eat it! I not not a big Flan fan... Brooke's flan was too eggy and dense, they can't taste the chamomile. Shirley's dish is full of flavor, "one of the best desserts," it was seductive and everyone finished it! It was one of the best dishes of the whole night!

Shirley took the dessert... but will it be enough?

The WINNER of Top Chef is Brooke!!! She pulled a Kristen! Maybe getting eliminated really does ease some pressure and allow for more creativity?

I think they are both amazing chefs. Brooke made it to the finale by the skin of her teeth, so I'll say Sheldon is right on par with them as well. Now to plan a trip to their restaurants!!! Who's with me!?!?!!




2 comments:

  1. Go Le Chefre. The champs champs champs champs! Running out of room for all these trophies and crowns. I want a scoreboard so I can say....scoreboard!

    Check out this cast picture for next season!!

    http://i.imgur.com/soG81SA.jpg









    Just kidding. Eat it, Doug. Not that you will ever read this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture is ridiculous. I wish I had seen it 2.5 months ago so I could have given you shit about it earlier.

    ReplyDelete